Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Rap Traxx 3: Redhead was a Kingpin



Probably the single most important tape that I ever owned in grade school, outside of a Fats Domino greatest hits cassette, was the third installment of the Rap Traxx compilations, put out by Polytel. There was a desperate bid to buy a 2 Live Crew cassette from the older brother of some girl in my class when he found an unspooled copy of it in a trashcan below the playground that never worked out (probably for the best), so about as nasty as I got to be was Redhead Kingpin and the FBI's Pump It Hottie, the final song on the cassette. While significantly less conscious-expanding than Do The Right Thing (with its sample of George McCrae's I Get Lifted, the titular song also samples the Tom Tom Club years before Mariah Carey), I could never really get into songs with siren samples in it (sorry, KRS-One and Public Enemy). I never really understood how Redhead was a Kingpin, presumably a mythical criminal of sorts, and also at once, the leader of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

I think I probably played played Kid n' Play's House Party soundtrack just as much, but didn't enjoy it as thoroughly. And then I bought the first soundtrack to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie for an exorbitant amount on CD.

On a similar tip for all Montreal readers, I'll announce further details when we get them set in stone, but there's going to be a pool party called New Jack Swim sometime later this summer.


Rap Traxx 3 (52:35)
1. Maestro Fresh Wes - "Let Your Backbone Slide" (5:01)
2. Young MC - "Principal's Office" (4:18)
3. MC Hammer - "Let's Get It Started" (4:12)
4. Queen Latifah f/ Monie Love - "Ladies First" (3:58)
5. Sir-Mix-A-Lot - "Beepers" (4:19)
6. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - "I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson" (4:52)
7. De La Soul - "Buddy" (4:58)
8. Heavy D & The Boyz - "Somebody for Me" (5:03)
9. Rebel MC and Double Trouble - "Street Tuff" [Radio Mix] (3:31)
10. Beastie Boys - "Hey Ladies" (3:51)
11. Digital Underground - "Doowutchyalike" [Radio Mix] (4:07)
12. Redhead Kingpin and the FBI - "Pump It Hottie" (4:25)

1 comment:

jack oatmon said...

New Jack Swim!