Friday, March 05, 2010

The Golden Man & College Girls



It always happens that the day after I need it, I finally come across an amazing song or couple of songs that I really could have made use of the night before. Case in point, I DJed at Casa del Popolo last night for Thums Up!, playing a selection of Bollywood hits and also-rans. People came out, I screened the Amitabh Bachchan film Bombay to Goa and fun was had. But had I played the above song, I think it would have lifted the bar just that extra special bit...

Bappi Lahiri is the hefty gold-loving disco king of Bollywood, known as The Golden Man. His most recognizable work in the West is his soundtrack to Disco Dancer, Jimmy being sampled by MIA, but yadda yadda yadda, our concern here is the narcissistic go-go freakout Everybody Dance With Me. This song obviously owes a gigantic debt/royalty cheque to Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda, but pushes it one step further with a Morricone-esque trumpet intro and some guest vamping from an unidentified female playback singer. And just to make it all the better, the movie's called College Girl.

No comments: