Friday, August 13, 2004

A Whole Lot of Dirty Hippies...



So the super-noodle group PHISH is finally saying farewell. I'm not usually one to poke fun but I thought I'd share this article with you folks:

Farewell Phish fest gets under way
Concertgoers gather in rain for Vermont group's finale
Friday, August 13, 2004 Posted: 1601 GMT (0001 HKT)


COVENTRY, Vermont (AP) -- Phish concerts are known for their carnivallike atmosphere, but on Thursday -- four days before the jam band's final performance -- the event showed little of that hallmark festiveness...


Full Story Here...

Some of my favorite quotes from the piece:
"Phish devotees consoled themselves by thinking of the happier times that would hopefully lie in store during the two-day festival this weekend. "People will start waking up," said Jeff Goodman, who left his home in Patchouge, New York, Wednesday to pick up his girlfriend in Syracuse and then hightail it to Coventry..."

RE: What the hell? People will start waking up to what?! Does "Patchouge, New York" even exist? Smells like Patchouli.... I had it get it in there.

"Not far from a row of portable toilets, Michael Mustin of Anderson, Indiana, sat on the hood of his car and played lead guitar on an acoustic rendition of Bob Marley's reggae song "Stir It Up."

RE: I hate stupid assholes who do this kind of shit. Can you imagine having to put up with 90,000 of those assholes?! Jesus Christ..

"Rounds of cards were played; a group of men and women hit bongos in a drum circle stationed around the trunk of someone's car..."

RE: Once, I went to a GUSTER show and the dude played his bongo drums until his hands bled. Then he held up his bleeding hands for the crowd to see and everyone cheered. Also at the same show, he screamed out "How many Americans are in the house tonight?!!" and 3/4ths of the audience when nuts. Obviously, the colleges were still in session, it was a madhouse! This is neither here nor there...

5 comments:

Jay Watts III said...

I met this kid on Tuesday who told me that he was more into music on the "groove-based side" and when I mentioned Phish (as a joke, too!) he and his friend started talking about the lead singer as if they knew him personally... Ick. I saw him on Charlie Rose once and I think he was talking about seeing gigantic pink blots of light whenever he got going on a really good groove or something. Gross.

Anonymous said...

i used to love phish and especially the shows. they are amazing on stage. BUT the hard-core hippie fans are full of shit. just a bunch of left over hanger-ons from the grateful dead tours.

sucks that phish is done. no more people to make fun of a shows.

Anonymous said...

I was in Seattle last week, for a buddy's wedding, and whilst we bonfired on the beach, cooking sausages and drinking wildly, a small drum circle appeared downbeach from us as if by magic. We all sort of ignored them until a hippie dude, sporting bigass nasty white-guy dreads walked literally yards away from them and up to us. "You guys know where the drum circle is?" he asked, shifting the stoned hippie chick he carried piggyback. "Over there" we pointed to obvious sounds of the drums about 10 feet behind him...

Something about white-guy dreads, dudes...

cheers-
brewdog

Von's Comics said...

That's my friend who was sitting on the car's hood playing guitar. He is definitely not an asshole. He's really good at guitar player, too. You might like him if you give him a chance. Actually, now that I think about it, you would have good reason to think he's an asshole. I mean, WHO the hell just sits on a car's hood? That's such an asshole thing to do. I know if I saw a guy sitting on the hood of a car, whilst playing guitar no less, I would think he's an asshole. Yeah. Total asshole.

anonymous said...

i love dirty hippies and i love sitting on the harry hood of my car and playing bob marley songs.